Bioactive compounds and value-added applications of cupuassu (Theobroma grandiflorum Schum.) agroindustrial by-product
COSTA, Russany Silva da
Food Sci. Technol
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
Abstract Cupuassu is a fruitful species from the Amazon basin with great economical potential, due to the multiple uses of its pulp and seeds in the food and cosmetic industries. This fruit generates large amounts of solid waste, which, despite of its high content of bioactive compounds, is discarded in the environment. Therefore, with the aim of reusing these wastes and adding economic value, we investigated the nutritional potential of the seed by-product resulting from industrial cupuassu oil extraction. The by-product was submitted to green extraction, and its contents of bioactive compounds were quantified by HPLC. The extract had a total polyphenol content (16.9 ± 1.8 mg/gDM) and an antioxidant activity, ABTS + (151.0 ± 5.5 mg/100 g) and DPPH. (85.4 ± 1.7 mmol/L). HPLC analysis of the extract identified epicatechin and glycosylated quercetin as the major flavonoids. This by-product shows great potential for being used as a source of the ingredients of high nutritional value, especially dietary fiber and polyphenols.
- Bioactive compounds and value-added applications of cupuassu (Theobroma grandiflorum Schum.) agroindustrial by-product
- Functional product enriched with the microencapsulated extract of cupuassu (Theobroma grandiflorum Schum.) seed by-product
- Armazenamento de sementes de cupuaçu (Theobroma grandiflorum (Willd. ex Spreng.) K. Schum.)
- Drying and germination of cupuassu (Theobroma grandiflorum (Willd. ex Spreng.) K. Schum.) seeds.
- Indução de embriogênese somática em cupuaçu (Theobroma grandiflorum Schum.)