Long term maintenance of glucose and lipid concentrations after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
Magno, Fernanda Cristina Carvalho Mattos, Sousa, Priscila Alves Medeiros de, Rodrigues, Marcelo Paiva, Pereira, Lícia Lopes Pio, Oliveira, José Egídio Paulo de, Rosado, Eliane Lopes, Carneiro, João Régis Ivar
Arch. Endocrinol. Metab.
DATA DE PUBLICAÇÃO
Abstract Objective: Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) reduces body weight and the comorbidities associated with obesity. The aim of this study was to evaluate whether glucose and lipid profiles were maintained during a 5-year follow-up period after RYGB. Subjects and methods: Anthropometric and laboratory data from 323 patients who had undergone this operation were analyzed. Differences in laboratory variables between the baseline and 12, 24, 36, 48 and 60 months postoperatively (PO) were assessed using a one-way ANOVA test to compare the three groups. Delta significance using one-way ANOVA was performed to assess anthropometric variable in the postoperative period (p < 0.05). Results: 77 patients (24%) were included in Group 1 (G1), 101 (32%) in Group 2 (G2), and 141 (44%) in Group 3 (G3). The majority of patients, 71.7% in G1, 82.8% in G2, and 70% in G3, showed high triglycerides (TG) before surgery. A decrease in weight loss was observed in all groups followed by an increase in body weight in G2 and G3 at 36, 48 and 60 months. Laboratory results for G1, G2 and G3 showed no significant differences between groups at baseline and during the post-operative period. Conclusion: Our results suggest that weight regain after RYGB has no significant impact on the long-term evolution of the lipid profile and glycemia.
- Impact of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery on rat intestinal glucose transport
- WEIGHT LOSS COMPARISON AFTER SLEEVE AND ROUX-EN-Y GASTRIC BYPASS: SYSTEMATIC REVIEW
- Long-term follow-up of patients with Roux-en-Y gastrojejunostomy for gastric disease.
- Weight loss and dietary intake after vertical banded gastroplasty and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.
- Modified Nissen fundoplication: laparoscopic antireflux surgery after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for obesity