Clinical and epidemiological features of adenovirus keratoconjunctivitis in London.
Ninety-eight patients were studied. Ninety were consecutive patients who were isolation-positive for adenovirus, and 8, who were associated with a hospital outbreak of adenovirus serotype 8 infection, developed characteristic features of infection but were isolation-negative. The ratio of males to females was 2 to 1, and most patients were aged 20 to 39. Adenovirus serotypes 3, 7, and 8 were isolated from 86% of patients, and serotypes 2, 4, 5, 11, 15, and 15/29 from the remaining 14%. Adenovirus serotype 7 was more commonly isolated from patients under the age of 19 and was Not isolated during winter. Sources of infection could be identified in 36% of patients and included contact with upper respiratory tract of ocular infections, a hospital outbreak, and a recent visit to a swimming pool. Associated systemic disease was detected in 47% of patients, most of whom had upper respiratory tract infection. The most severe and prolonged conjunctivitis was caused by serotypes 5 and 8. Most patients developed epithelial punctate keratitis. Subepithelial punctate keratitis, which was once-considered to be a characteristic feature of adenovirus serotype 8, developed in cases of serotype 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8 infection.
ACESSO AO ARTIGOhttp://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1039936
- Acute follicular conjunctivitis and keratoconjunctivitis due to herpes simplex virus in London.
- Adenovirus serotypes isolated from ocular infections in London.
- Epidemic keratoconjunctivitis and chronic papillary conjunctivitis in London due to adenovirus type 19.
- Stroke death and unemployment in London.
- Clinical and epidemiological features of tuberculosis in children and adolescents